Wednesday, June 1, 2011

What I'd do for you, Jacks...

No matter what your background, no matter what your walk of life and no matter what you're trying to do, there comes a time when you just have to go to...

The Dollar Store

I go about once every 4-5 years. I am not a fan, if you can't tell. 

But I was on a mission to get Jacks to take to the kids in Ghana.  I am really dating myself but aren't Jacks the gift that keeps on giving?

Remember Jacks? Anybody?


I have many fond memories of Jacks but they're kind of a throw-back so, after careful consultation with my Jacks-locator-friends, I determined I would have to go to the dollar store.  It smelled like old cardboard and stale cigarettes and the owner/manager was kind of...slimy...but lo and behold!...there were rows and rows of Jacks...and plastic guns...and rubber lizards... and some stuff I really couldn't readily identify.  But I digress.

After 45 minutes of Jacks, rubber ball and jump rope shopping, home we came with enough dollar store toys to make make a Ghanaian child wonder.  Wonder :what the heck are Jacks?  So I guess I'll also have to SHOW kids how to play Jacks which will be interesting because I completely lack the fine motor skills to effectively play this game and always have.

So...if you're wondering what I'm doing Saturday, I'm probably practicing Jacks.  Yes, I bought my own set.

And if you're wondering what my so-called "fond memories" are if I couldn't really play, they are mostly memories of me hiding my cousin Mary's Jacks so we'd have to play something else.

1 comment:

  1. Judy, I would have to agree with you. I loved playing jacks, but my hands have always been small, a disadvantage for playing jacks... I won't mention my lack of manual dexterity.

    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete