Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Day 1: Accra The Obruni goes to town

Today, I had a very American breakfast of pancakes and eggs - and pineapple that was picked this morning outside. Then I had to venture out to get a mobile broadband card for my laptop.  In Ghana, this means locating the "Vodafone" store, luckily about 6 blocks away from the guest lodge.  I had breakfast with fellow guests - two from Nigeria, one from Liberia and two from Ghana.  One of the Ghanaian guys, Joseph, schooled me on Vodafone, how much to pay a taxi driver and not to worry if people randomly called out "Obruni" when they saw me. Obruni means "white person." Joseph instructed me to call back "Bebeni" ("black person") and laugh so that the locals can see that I have a sense of humor.

I walked the six blocks along Lagos Road...

As you can see, there are no sidewalks, at least not here, which can best be described as a residential area -

 - where every home is gated and walled-in and almost every home is surrounded by barbed wire, which totally ruins the ambiance of these very nice homes.

Women dress in a range from business casual to traditional in whatever they're doing, including walking down Lagos road with a tray of plantains on their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment