Thursday, June 9, 2011

Schooled in the art of ordering yam

On our travels today, George and I stopped for lunch at the Catholic Guest House -- reportedly the best lunch in town (read: the only sit-down restaurant that doesn't cook outdoors on an open flame).

So, when you order at a restaurant in Ghana, you always ask, "Is it ready?" meaning - are you cooking it from scratch or can we expect to eat reasonably soon? And your waitress is supposed to be honest or...maybe she's not so honest.

George ordered plain chicken and rice.  I can have that any day at home, so I ordered a Ghanaian dish - chicken, yam and vegetable sauce.  This is not a photo of my food, but this is exactly what it looked like:



George asked the "Is it ready?" question for both our meals and the waitress said both were ready. But she lied about mine, because the yam had to be boiled.  This takes some time.  A long time. George's chicken and rice took 10 minutes.  My Yam and vegetable sauce?  Call it 45 minutes.  I was upset that George felt he had to wait to start eating and he was upset because the waitress lied.  And he left her no tip, then called her out of the kitchen and told her to never lie to people. Even though the waitress is also the cook, and the yam and vegetable sauce was really good.

Made me wish we'd gone to the outdoor smoky place by the bus station. Probably would have eaten faster, and, since George and I were the only ones in the restaurant at the Catholic Guest House, we would have met a lot more interesting people.

Lesson learned: Don't order yam in a Ghanaian restaurant.  Or at least I guess that's the lesson.

On the bright side, it gave us plenty of time to talk about struggles with education in Ghana (which are sadly not that different than some of our own problems in the U.S.), and I got a nice "History of George Guri."

But I'll save that for another entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment