Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The road home goes through...the mailbox


Yesterday, I decided to look at my mail which had been dutifully collected in a box.  For the first two and a half days I was home, I mostly ignored the mail.  I knew where it was; I knew that is was, but I had a hard time coming to grips with the idea that the box of mail was for me and perhaps I should do something...like look at it.  Open it maybe.

So I began the painful process of sorting through bills, cards and various correspondences from various entities that had collected over three weeks.

Guess what?  Despite my awesome trip to Ghana, Visa AND American Express want to be paid.  Blue Cross Blue Shield wants me to fill out a form. I have appointments to confirm, places to go and people to see. I have decisions to make. And lots of things to read.

Reviewing my mail was like reviewing and grounding myself in my real life.  When you're gone for a long time, I think it's common to wonder if you'll be forgotten. Will people remember me and what I do and how I fit in to things? Will things change>

Certainly for Visa and American Express it's like I was never gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment