Monday, June 6, 2011

Another pit stop on the road to Wa...

Hello from Accra!

The final air travel leg of this journey went smoothly, except for some turbulence over France and over Algeria...and the aforementioned poor food choices

Kotoka Airport is modern by a lot of African standards but it is still a chaotic place.  In Immigration, I was eye-scanned and electronic-finger-printed. That took some time. As did finding one piece of luggage.  But everything arrived in one piece and I breezed through Customs without having to open my luggage and explain a lot.  Not that there's a whole lot to explain.  Really! There isn't.

I was fortunate that Viking Dietrich, the ELCA Director for Global Mission in West Africa met me at the airport and drove me to the Agape Guest House, where I'll stay for 2 nights. It was a blessing, after 19 hours of travel, to not have to figure out the "taxi situation."  Apparently there is an "official" taxi stand and an "unofficial" gathering of taxi drivers.  But you have to pass through the latter to get to the former. And they are VERY, VERY eager taxi drivers.

The Agape Guest Lodge in East Legon, Accra is run by an American couple - Kathy and Tom Newell.  Four years ago they retired and moved here to run this guest lodge.  Very nice people.  I am in a room with 4 beds, but there's just me.  There a nice bathroom, too - a shower with no shower curtain and no hot water that I can figure out.


Anyway, it's clean and in my budget! My only complaint is that my Sprint service seems to not work here at the Guest Lodge - but it was working at the airport.  So, tomorrow's plan is to try to figure that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment