Sunday, June 12, 2011

Nadala goes to church and the Wa market

Last night, Bea asked me what church I'd like to go to:  Catholic? Baptist? Methodist? Pentecostal?  Being a good guest, I simply told Bea I'd be happy to go to whatever church she normally goes to.

So off we went at 8:30 a.m. to the Wa Assemblies of God church. 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m is Bible study, in both English and Twi; the service begins at 10:00.  There really isn't an end-time. It's over when the pastor feels its over.

Bible study was interesting and then afterward, all the first-time visitors were asked to stand and introduce themselves -- who they were, what community they live in, and what they do for a living, if they have a living.  I don't know why, but I wasn't really thinking this applied to me until the mean-looking usher was bringing the microphone my way (without me even standing - OK I am OBVIOUSLY a visitor) and Bea nudged me to stand up.  I made it short and sweet: Judy Twist, Chicago Illinois USA, visiting the Guris, work at Edelman in downtown Chicago. Short and sweet. I got a standing ovation - but I really don't know why.  Bea thinks it's because I speak clearly and confidently...I was just glad when it was over and I could sit down.

But no! It wasn't over.  Another mean-looking female usher came and motioned me emphatically towards the front of the church, which had about 500 people worshiping. All visitors were paraded into the pastor's office to meet him.  Pastor Ynusa had a nice air conditioned office so that was cool...literally cool! After discovering that I hoped that we stayed there to chat for a good long time because 500 people in an assembly hall with no air?  Crikey.

There were 9 of us: 3 men and 6 women.  Pastor Y, as he said we should call him, was very focused on the young African women, only one of whom could read and write.  He talked about the Scriptures as spiritual food, just like breakfast.  Then he asked the young women if they'd had breakfast so that they could compare what it is like to be full, as in to be full of the Scriptures - and they shook their heads no. Which...pretty much ended that analogy, much to his disappointment.

On the way out, Pastor Y stopped me and asked me about my visit.  I told him I was here on behalf of my church which supports some children in Lawra. And, feeling bold and trying to prolong my air conditioned state, I told him his analogy regarding spiritual food was interesting.  Then, I asked him if perhaps, out of the church's collections, he might think about providing ACTUAL food for people like the young women here who had not eaten.  Even Jesus, my best evangelizing self said, knew that satisfying physical hunger made it easier for people to concentrate on their spiritual hunger. Surely, I went on (and some might say 'on and on'), a couple of loaves of bread wouldn't be too much for people to share on a Sunday morning so that they can calm their hunger pangs and then give their all to worship.

Pastor Y first looked at me like I had two heads..then brought his hands up to clasp mine. I regret now that it was poor Ghanaian etiquette to photograph inside a church, not to mention the pastor's facial expression.

"Nadala" he said in a stern voice as he showed me the door.

"Barika" (thank you) I said bowing a little, because I've found that's an easy response when you have no idea what you've been told. I then returned to my seat next to Bea where I whispered, "OK, what is nadala?"

"Why?" she asked, "Where did you hear it?"

"The pastor said it," I said, sure that Pastor Y had called me "foreign devil" or something like that.

"White chief!" Bea laughed. I was appalled and shrank into my seat.

Pastor Y came into the service at about 10:30 and began with some announcements.  Today was Pentecost, so, you can imagine, Pentecost in an Assemblies of God church = big deal.  Pastor Y sure can preach. He can preach, pray, quote the Bible and also scream pretty good. 2 hours later he ended the service with more announcements, one of which was that, beginning June 19, bread would be available before the service if people would like a slice.

So, you can't say I didn't make my mark at the Revival Assemblies of God church in Wa.  And I got a promotion from Obruni to Nadala.  Really, sounds so colonial its embarrassing.  Just remember, it wasn't my idea.

After church we went to the weekly Wa market.  Think "local farmers market" times 20. 



Huge array of vendors. Lots of meat and smoked fish.  No refrigeration but it didn't seem to matter to anyone except me.  I wanted to make George and Bea something that Americans eat, so I bought spaghetti, tomato sauce tomato paste, onion and garlic from this young woman who runs -- if you can believe it -- an imported Italian food stall:


And ran into some others who like to hang around the Wa market, too!   Patrick, this one's for you!


Tomorrow, we will travel north to Lawra, which is near the Burkina Faso border. We'll be there for 3 days visiting the four schools we've supported, visiting an orphanage, a feeding center.  On Thursday night, there will be a huge assembly of parents, teachers and children who will be presented their school uniforms, books and supplies for next year. And I have to make some sort of speech so that will be interesting.

Because you know how it all worked out for the Nadala at the Assemblies of God Church in Wa.

No comments:

Post a Comment