Monday, June 6, 2011

The Road to Heathrow

Having arrived in London about 2 hours ago, a few observations and notes in no particular order:

1. This place is like a mall.
2. It took me 1-1/2 hours to get through Security.
3. They only make you take off your shoes if you're wearing high heels.  Who travels in high heels anyway?  The woman in front of me.
4. I actually slept for about 4 hours on the flight, which is some kind of flying record for me - since I usually can't sleep on anything that's moving.
5. I was told that the food on British Airways was the best around.  This is a lie.  I had a choice of "chicken" or "pasta."  Choosing the chicken, I expect to see some.  There were 3 small pieces of chicken drenched in some kind of tomato sauce, with some starchy thing that could have been either rice, potatoes, or shredded cheese - and some brown stuff I couldn't identify.  Dinner:  the three  pieces of chicken and some trail mix.
6. Breakfast was a mis-shapened muffin.  Breakfast: Pro Bar.

I had lovely 777 neighbors next to me on my flight.  First, there was the Swedish couple next to me. Anna is a nervous flyer.  Adolf, not at all. Adolf speaks perfect English. Anna not so much.  Anna was very nervous about wing flaps, and my best attempts to explain what I remembered about Bernoulli's principle from my Cub Scout den leader days did nothing to make her feel better, despite Adolf's enthusiastic and agreeable translating prowess.   The woman in front of me was traveling with 2 small children, a very cranky 18-month old and a 4-year old who loves to talk.  Mardesh, the 4-year old, told me all about his preschool and his trip to India to visit his grandparents, and his electronic game and..while his mom tried to calm down his little brother, Mardesh and I played flash cards.  Too bad the Jacks were in checked baggage.

I am thinking of eating lunch here:


Perhaps I should find something a little more British, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment