Friday, May 20, 2011

3-2-1- Contact

Yesterday marked 17 days until my departure for Ghana.  After waiting for responses to a few emails, I took the first plunge toward the road to Wa.  I called George Guri from the Upper West Science Foundation from the plaza outside the Aon Center on my lunch hour.

It went something like this:

1st attempt: busy signal
2nd attempt: busy signal
(At this point I discover I am using the wrong "city code" for Wa...)
3rd attempt:  Success! - a ringing phone - I feel better about myself.

The plaza outside the Aon Center is a crowded place at lunchtime. Our connection was poor and my volume was high so our conversation turned plenty of heads.

Me: It's good to hear your voice, George. How's everything in Wa?
(Man sitting next to my eyes me quizzically)

Lost call. Called back.

Me: I understand storms last Sunday took the roof off a few schools.
(Woman sitting across from me looks alarmed)

Lost call. Called back.

Me: If you can't meet me in Accra, don't worry about it. I can find my way to the bus station.
(Man now looks at me as though I have grown a second head).

Me:  Ok, you can call me Tuesday and let me know what's going on.

The bottom line is that it was good to connect now that it's "crunch time," but nothing was really decided. The "Tuesday" George spoke of refers to the day before I am scheduled to take that bus to Wa.

It may be a small world after all, but not when it comes to advanced planning.  That seems to be an American thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment